Hey everyone,

Im a pretty proficient canvas stretcher, but the other day I stretched a canvas so tight you could use it as a trampoline, but when I put it on gesso on it, the canvas lost its tightness. I am not saying that it is loose and and not paintable, but it is not near as tight as it was. I wanted to know of any techniques to increase my canvas from losing my tightly stretched canvas after gessoing. I mean, usually when you add gesso it makes it more tight, but not in this case. Any info on techniques is helpful

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it is an unpainted canvas, sometimes it is helpful to dampen the fabric before you stretch it and let it dry on the stretcher bars. It is usually less likely to loosen up when the moisture from the gesso hits it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STL Area Visual Art Happenings

STL is so lucky to have such masterpieces minutes away! Please take advantage of all SLAM has to offer!

MUSEUM HOURS

Tuesday–Sunday, 10:00 am–5:00 pm Friday, 10:00 am–9:00 pm Closed Monday Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. The Museum is open New Year's Day.

ADMISSION

Admission to the Museum is free every day. Admission to featured exhibitions is free on Friday.

Click here for more details

© 2017   Created by MySLART.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service